Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Quasi-Independence

So, it's the 14th of August and Pakistan is 60 years young. I started my day today getting SMSes from friends wishing everyone "jashn-e-azadi" (celebration of independence). One of my good friends (that many bloggers commenting here might know), AD, brought up a valid point that prompted me to write this...

Apparently, a lot of Pakistanis see our independence day as us Muslims gaining independence from "India" (which didn't exist back then!) or the hindus. I didn't study in Pakistani schools to know what is being taught there, but talking to most Pakistanis it seems that this is the general belief. However, the fact of the matter is that India and Pakistan both gained their independence from the British Raj! For some weird reason, Pakistani history paints Indians and Hindus as the "bad guys", which I feel is pretty unfair and not exactly the true depiction of events.

My guess is that this theory of Pakistanis gaining independence from India started gaining currency due to the bloodshed that accompanied the migration of Muslims and Hindus. So Pakistanis started seeing Hindus/Indians as their enemy. Add to this the fact that right after independence, Pakistan and India fought a pitched battle against each other over the disputed territory of Kashmir. At this time, Pakistan did not even have an army, let alone the equipment to fight with. So, the warrior tribals from Pashtoonistan (who had just joined the Islamic Republic of Pakistan) sent in their people to liberate Kashmir. The ensuing battle saw the Pathans gain tremendous ground and capture/reclaim (depending on your perspective) 1/3rd of Kashmir, which is today known as "Azad Kashmir" under Pakistani control. Had there not been a ceasefire and the UN stepping in, the Pathans were poised to run through and take the entire of Kashmir!

But, all idiosyncrasies aside, I think Pakistanis need to come to the realization that our independence was actually from the British Raj. Unfortunately, just as Sir Syed Ahmad Khan was in favor of British Raj and opposed to Hindu rule, our liberals from the Muslim League have painted the Hindus as the "bad guys" and continue to be subservient to the West. The difference today is that we have found a more supreme white race in place of the Brits: Amreeka Bahadur!

So, yes, Happy "Independence", Pakistan!

12 Comments:

Blogger rosh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 14, 2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger rosh said...

"So, yes, Happy "Independence", Pakistan!"

lol mate, you are tough! How come you know much about Pakistan's history? It's commendable :)

Re: Kashmir, I think its unfortunate the pain, suffering and destruction of a beautiful land in hands of man. Don't wanna go on a tangent - I just hate, really hate fights, wars and all else that bring so much destruction. How much longer should souls around this planet (especially in today's Iraq) kill, maim & destroy for peace? Can't people see people first and coexist in peace?

August 14, 2007 11:51 AM  
Blogger rosh said...

Happy Independence day - almost forgot.

BTW - do you celebrate an Independence day? I have never celebrated an Independence day, don't know why or what am to celebrate, I guess?

August 14, 2007 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Azaadi mubarak!

August 14, 2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger i*maginate said...

Happy Independence Day!

P.S. I also saw that car with the Pakistani flag doing the rounds - in Jumeira this evening! hehe

August 14, 2007 3:13 PM  
Blogger al-republican said...

Rosh:

I don't celebrate independence days as such. I used to when I was a kid, but as I grew older and got more involved into politics I lost interest.

I still do want to do a lot for Pakistan. In fact, I hope I am worthy enough for Allah to help me to help our ummah. Since I can't help the entire 1.6 billion Muslims on Earth, I can focus on one segment - Pakistanis.

Imaginate: thanks for the wishes! Looks like this guy did the rounds all across Dubai last night!

August 15, 2007 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shahab
good post and point.
AD

August 15, 2007 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AD enough weight lifting

August 16, 2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger al-republican said...

Adil! Zehr-e-Naseeb! I am forever deeply indebted that you have graced not just my blog, but the internet with your presence!

Dear friend, welcome to the 21st century! It's about time you started spending some time online too! Congrats on your e-mail address too haha!

August 16, 2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger Creation said...

I'm sure (Allah forbid) the day your sohni would get married to someone else .. all your passion for politics would expire and then Al-republican would be known as Al-hermit (yeah, with the definite article 'Al') .. :p

August 16, 2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger al-republican said...

Yes, God forbid such a thing, creation.

But, if such were to happen, I would definitely give up the idea of marriage and dedicate myself completely to politics.

August 16, 2007 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting ..
Al... I'll be back.

Cannon

September 05, 2007 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home